Part of the reason I started this blog was so that I could write on things that I am passionate about. I love researching, talking and discussing everything to do with health and fitness. It impacts a lot on my life, and outside of my Volleyball it’s my main focus. There are certain things I write about because I see a trend in a gym, or in the industry that I want to discuss, clarify or completely discredit. Sometimes I just write about things because I love them. I love Tuna.
Tuna rocks. Really, it is a great food. I get that it is an acquired taste, and some of my friends gag when I get my tuna dishes out. I think it all started with my father. His famous and most eaten dish right through my childhood was Tuna based. Lettuce, Tomato, maybe some Carrot, a LOT of low fat Italian Dressing, two cans of Tuna, some sliced cheese…all topped with Tomato Sauce (Ketchup for you Americans). Disgusting eh. It really does stink the kitchen out. And no, I’m not going to add it to my list of recommended recipes. What I am trying to get at is, I was bought up with Tuna around my house, and I love it. I’m an athlete, and I live alone in a foreign country and I’ll be honest, my cooking skills are minimal. I love Tuna on Rice, with a bit of Sweet Chili sauce, I love it in Salads (minus the Tomato Sauce), I love Tuna bakes (even if I have safety issues with hot ovens) and I love Tuna on top of Veggies (with a bit of Pasta Sauce and Cheese).
What Is So Good About Tuna?
Mmm, for one, it’s very tasty. But that’s subjective.
- Tuna is a great source of lean protein. Protein is essential to building muscle.
- Tuna has high quality protein that is easily digestible.
- Low in Saturated Fat.
- It’s pretty cheap.
- It is a low cholesterol food.
- Tuna is a rich source of nutrients that are essential to healthy and balanced diets.
- It has a lot of Omega 3 fatty acids, which have been shown to
- lower the risk of heart disease,
- ease joint pain,
- reduce asthma complications,
- and are essential in the growth of young children.
Tuna…get on it.