Removing unwanted hair is easy in theory, but anyone who has attempted to shave, wax, or remove hair by any other method knows that it is not as easy as it sounds. The art of shaving, waxing, and overall hair removal can be a complicated process. The following article describes a few common methods for removing unwanted body hair, as well as some in-depth success tips for waxing at home.
Ways to Remove Unwanted Body Hair
The following list outlines a few ways you can remove unwanted body hair. Some methods are relatively pain-free; others are not for the faint of heart:
- Shaving: While shaving is a relatively successful way to remove unwanted body hair, it must be done slowly, and for some, nearly every day. Those with dark hair follicles and thick hair growth must shave more often and typically with less desirable results than their lighter and thinner-haired counterparts.
- Waxing: While waxing is painful and time-consuming when done at home, the results typically last several weeks, significantly longer than with shaving. A con with waxing, however, is that you must grow out your body hair to at least one-quarter of an inch (longer is recommended for thick-haired people). This is not very convenient in the hot summer months.
- Hair removal creams: While smelly, hair removal creams are usually quite effective. Once again, your hair needs to be at least one-quarter of an inch or longer to yield desirable results. If you have darker, thicker body hair, a longer length is required. Many of these creams claim that prolonged use can make your body hair grow slower and thinner. While this may be true of some areas and hair types, such results are not guaranteed. Keep in mind that while hair removal creams are effective, they are very similar in method and hair re-growth to regular shaving.
- Laser hair removal: For most people, this type of hair removal is quite effective, and the results can last for years. However, this method is incredibly expensive, time-consuming, and varies greatly in its overall results from patient to patient.
Steps for Successful At-Home Waxing
Consider the following steps when attempting to wax unwanted body hair at-home:
- Exfoliate: In preparation for waxing, exfoliate your skin carefully with a loofah sponge.
- Try ready-made wax strips: These types of wax strips are much less messy than other types of wax kits. Make sure your hair is at least one-quarter of an inch in length before beginning (longer is recommended).
- Shorter is better, but more time-consuming: If you have thick body hair, the shorter your wax strip, the more likely you are to remove all unwanted hair.
- Rub the wax strip firmly in the same direction as hair growth: When you are ready, quickly pull the wax strip in the opposite direction you laid it down. Keep the wax strip as close to the skin as possible to avoid pulling on your skin and leaving excess hair.
- Place your hand on top of the newly waxed skin: This will ease discomfort.
- Apply baby oil to your newly waxed skin: Remember that the art of shaving, waxing, and overall hair removal is often a trial and error process. Don’t be discouraged by small failures! Keep trying until you find what works best for you.